Red teaming and alternative analysis embrace a variety of methods and tools. The items below represent a collection of writings and links related to the topic. If you would like us to add a link to this list, please contact us.
Approaches, Methods, and Techniques
- Bunker, “Force Protection and Suicide Bombers: The Necessity for Two Types of Canadian Military Red Teams,” Canadian Military Journal, Autumn 2012.
- Craig, “Reflections from a Red Team Leader,” Military Review, March-April 2007.
- FBI Academy Library, Select Bibliography: Red Teaming, 2008.
- Fontenot, “Seeing Red: Creating a Red-Team Capability for the Blue Force,” Military Review, September-October 2005.
- Gallegos and Smith, “Red Teams: An Audit Tool, Technique and Methodology for Information Assurance,” ISACA Journal Online, 2006.
- Fridman, “Red Team Mindset, Part 1,” January 2013.
- Lauder, “Red Dawn: The Emergence of a Red Teaming Capability in the Canadian Forces,” Canadian Army Journal, Summer 2009.
- Longbine, Red Teaming: Past and Present, School of Advanced Military Studies Monographs, May 2008.
- Mateski, “A Short Introduction to Red Teaming, 1.0,” June 2009.
- Meehan, “Red Teaming for Law Enforcement,” The Police Chief, February 2007.
- Mejia, “Red Team Versus Blue Team: How to Run an Effective Simulation,” CSO Online, March 2008.
- MITRE, Defense-Information Assurance Red Team.
- Malone and Schaupp, “The ‘Red Team’ Forging a Well-Conceived Contingency Plan,” Aerospace Power Journal, Summer 2002.
- OSD/DDRE/RRTO and STRATCOM/GISC, Anticipating Rare Events, November 2008.
- Sandia National Labs, Information Design Assurance Red Team (IDART).
- Sandoz, “Red Teaming: A Means to Military Transformation,” Institute for Defense Analyses, 2001.
- SANS, Red Teaming: The Art of Ethical Hacking, 2003.
- Skroch, “Modeling and Simulation of Red Teaming,” Red Team Journal, November 2009 (posted December 2009).
- Sinai, “Red Teaming the Terrorist Threat to Preempt the Next Waves of Catastrophic Terrorism,” 2003.
- Swanson, “Enhancing Red Team Performance: Driving Measurable Value and Quality Outcomes with Process Improvement,” 2012.
- U.K. MOD, Red Teaming Guide, Second Edition, January 2013.
- U.S. Army, 2008 Posture Statement: Red Team Education and Training, 2008.
The RTJ team maintains a list of books that are relevant to red teamers, analysts, and decision makers.
News, Reporting, and Blogging
- Chabrow, “Little Known Red-Team Facts,” GovInfo Security (The Public Eye Blog), June 2009.
- “CIA Exercise Reveals Consequences of Defeat,” The Washington Times, December 21, 2006.
- Derene, “Inside NSA Red Team Secret Ops With Government’s Top Hackers,” Popular Mechanics, June 2008.
- Kucera, “The US ‘Red Team’ Programme – Devil’s Advocates,” originally published in Jane’s Defence Weekly, June 2004.
- Ricks, “Officers With PhDs Advising War Effort,” The Washington Post, February 5, 2007.
Reports and Testimony
- Defense Science Board Task Force on the Role and Status of DoD Red Teaming Activities, Final Report, September 2003.
- Glenn S. Podonsky, Testimony before the Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, Committee on Energy and Commerce, U.S. House of Representatives, September 2008. [Search on "red teaming" to find the relevant section.]
- SecurITree attack tree software.