Red teaming and alternative analysis embrace a variety of methods and tools. The items below represent a collection of writings and links related to the topic. If you would like us to add a link to this list, please contact us.
- The Red Teamer’s Bookshelf (2009 Edition)
- The Red Teamer’s Bookshelf (2012 Edition)
- The Red Teamer’s Bookshelf (2013 Edition)
- “The Red Teamer’s Top Ten Books,” OODA Loop, April 2015.
Sites of Interest
- The Cyber Defense Review
- Global Guerrillas
- OODA Loop
- Rethinking Security
- Sandia Labs’ IDART
- Security Analysis and Risk Management Association (SARMA)
- Small Wars Journal
- The Red (Team) Analysis Society
Approaches, Methods, and Techniques
- Brangetto, Çalişkan, and Rõigas, “Cyber Red Teaming: Organisational, Technical and Legal Implications in a Military Context,” NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Centre of Excellence, 2015.
- Bunker, “Force Protection and Suicide Bombers: The Necessity for Two Types of Canadian Military Red Teams,” Canadian Military Journal, Autumn 2012.
- Cavanaugh, “Red Ideas: In Praise of Divergent Thinking,” War Council, February 2015.
- Craig, “Reflections from a Red Team Leader,” Military Review, March-April 2007.
- Fridman, “Red Team Mindset, Part 1,” January 2013.
- Freyer-Biggs, “Building Better Cyber Red Teams,” DefenseNews, June 2012.
- Gallegos and Smith, “Red Teams: An Audit Tool, Technique and Methodology for Information Assurance,” ISACA Journal Online, 2006.
- “Goodbye, OODA Loop,” Armed Force Journal, October 2011.
- Lauder, “Red Dawn: The Emergence of a Red Teaming Capability in the Canadian Forces,” Canadian Army Journal, Summer 2009.
- Longbine, Red Teaming: Past and Present, School of Advanced Military Studies Monographs, May 2008.
- Malone and Schaupp, “The ‘Red Team’ Forging a Well-Conceived Contingency Plan,” Aerospace Power Journal, Summer 2002.
- Mateski, “A Short Introduction to Red Teaming, 1.0,” June 2009.
- Meehan, “Red Teaming for Law Enforcement,” The Police Chief, February 2007.
- Mejia, “Red Team Versus Blue Team: How to Run an Effective Simulation,” CSO Online, March 2008.
- Microsoft, “Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Red Teaming,” November 2014.
- OSD/DDRE/RRTO and STRATCOM/GISC, Anticipating Rare Events, November 2008.
- Petersen, Burr, and McGovern,, “A Better Way to Use Red Teams,” Armed Forces Journal, February 2012.
- Saab, “What Do Red Teams Really Do?” Foreign Policy, September 2010.
- Sandoz, “Red Teaming: A Means to Military Transformation,” Institute for Defense Analyses, 2001.
- SANS, Red Teaming: The Art of Ethical Hacking, 2003.
- Sharp, Red Teaming and the Adversarial Mindset: Have a Plan, Backup Plan and Escape Plan,” ITS Tactical, March 2, 2015.
- Skroch, “Modeling and Simulation of Red Teaming,” Red Team Journal, November 2009 (posted December 2009).
- Sinai, “Red Teaming the Terrorist Threat to Preempt the Next Waves of Catastrophic Terrorism,” 2003.
- Smith and Perrymon, “All Your Badges Are Belong to Us,” DEFCON 22 Presentation, August 2014.
- Swanson, “Enhancing Red Team Performance: Driving Measurable Value and Quality Outcomes with Process Improvement,” 2012.
- U.K. MOD, Red Teaming Guide, Second Edition, January 2013.
- University of Foreign Military and Cultural Studies (UFMCS), Red Team Handbook, April 2012.
- U.S. Army, 2008 Posture Statement: Red Team Education and Training, 2008.
- Webber, “Understanding the Positive Outcomes of Red Teaming,” May 2014.
- Wheeler, “Moving Forward with Computational Red Teaming,” 2012.
- Wood and Duggan, “Red Teaming of Advanced Information Assurance Concepts,” n.d.
News, Reporting, and Blogging
- Arrington, Army’s Red Team Exposes Technology Vulnerabilities,” Armed with Science (The DoD Science Blog), April 16, 2015.
- Bejtlich, Cass Sunstein on Red Teaming,” Tao Security, January 15, 2015.
- “CIA Exercise Reveals Consequences of Defeat,” The Washington Times, December 21, 2006.
- Derene, “Inside NSA Red Team Secret Ops With Government’s Top Hackers,” Popular Mechanics, June 2008.
- Kucera, “The US ‘Red Team’ Programme – Devil’s Advocates,” originally published in Jane’s Defence Weekly, June 2004.
- Ricks, “Officers With PhDs Advising War Effort,” The Washington Post, February 5, 2007.
Reports and Testimony
- Defense Science Board Task Force on the Role and Status of DoD Red Teaming Activities, Final Report, September 2003.
- Glenn S. Podonsky, Testimony before the Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, Committee on Energy and Commerce, U.S. House of Representatives, September 2008. [Search on “red teaming” to find the relevant section.]